Saturday, November 3, 2012

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
The Twilight Saga, Book 1
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (July 2007)
513 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $8.99)
Book Rating: 3 Stars

I decided to reread these books, with the last movie coming out soon. I originally read them, simply because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and I found them entertaining enough, though perhaps not quite as enthralling as I may have been led to believe. In short, an accident-prone teenage girl recently relocated to live with her father meets a vampire, posing as a teenager, and they fall in love, leading to a series of problems and dilemmas. This book is intended for young adults, which I am not and was not even when I first read it, which is perhaps part of my problem. I found Bella to be immature, whiny and a bit too much absorbed in appearances and what others thought of her, but then again she is supposed to be a teenager. I can't say that I entirely disliked her. Her accepting, self-less nature is hard to dismiss. Edward though a bit whiny and brooding himself, I liked, almost from the beginning, but there is no denying that their relationship can in no way be considered healthy, even forgetting the vampires. But, if you ignore the desperate tenor to their relationship and just accept it, the story is faced-paced and engaging. It definitely keeps you wanting to know what will happen next, and I found it to be an easy read. The author's depiction of small town life I found a bit unrealistic, given the kids welcoming attitude toward Bella when she first arrived, but the cliched existence didn't bother me that much. This definitely isn't scholarly literature. It would make a nice beach read!


Movie Adaptations/Modern Retellings/Related Works:
Twilight (2008)
Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Billy Burke

Movie Rating: PG-13

My Rating: 5 Stars

Adaption: Verbatim-Tweaked-Veiled
Eye Candy: Plain-Pretty-Sultry

No comments:

Post a Comment