Thursday, May 9, 2013

Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz


Odd Apocalypse by Dean Koontz
Odd Thomas Series, Book 5
Publisher: Bantam (July 2012)
368 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $9.99)
Book Rating: 4 Stars

Following his adventures with the plottings of a nuclear threat and the ill-advised experimentation with aliens, Odd is drawn to a large Victorian estate called Roseland where there seems to be more out of place than the murdered young woman and her horse that Odd keeps seeing. I found this much more compelling than the last book. The murder mystery was intriguing and flowed into something much larger and more sinister in some ways, but I felt once again that the murder mystery with the ghost would have been enough for me with out the sensational hoopla piled on top of it. I also noticed a bitter, sniping edge now and then to the narration, which seemed new and directed toward highlighting a displeasure with both government and pop culture, and though I didn't disagree with much of it, I thought it seemed misplaced and out of character, given it was Odd that is supposedly writing these manuscripts. Never the less, I enjoyed the story and thought it came to a satisfying end. Odd never takes the easy way out! I look forward to reading Odd's next adventure in Deeply Odd, due out later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment