Tuesday, April 17, 2018

The Comedown by Rebekah Frumkin


The Comedown by Rebekah Frumkin
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. (April 2018)
319 pages, eBook (provided by Publisher for review)
Book Rating: 3 Stars
Content Note: Includes Swearing, Violence and Sexual Situations

This is a twisted tale of two families, one Jewish and the other black, forever connected by a drug-deal gone wrong, in which no one emerges unscathed. The blurb billed it as a dark comedy, but I found very little of comedic value in these pages. It was a rather depressing and, I have no doubt, realistic look at a world where entire families are ruined by one member’s bad choices and seemingly everyone is taking some sort of drugs. The characters were colorful and very vividly drawn, but there was little to like about them. There was also a lot of backstory given on characters that had little to do with the main plot, which I found unnecessary. I found the ending very abrupt and without sufficient resolution. I will say that it was very well written and it had an interesting rhythm that I enjoyed. Perhaps just not my cup of tea, exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment