Sunday, August 5, 2012

Gap Creek by Robert Morgan


Gap Creek by Robert Morgan
Publisher: Algonquin Books (January 1999)
335 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $8.25)
Book Rating: 4 Stars
Content Note: Includes Sexual Situations and Child Death Scenes
Julie and Hank married young after a very short courtship and left the mountain filled with the hope of a newlywed couple in love, only to be thrown almost immediately into the harsh, stark realities of life. Julie had unbelievable strength, courage and tolerance through all of the trials she faces in her new life. I didn’t like Hank through much of the story, but I think it was only because he had a fair amount of growing up to do before he truly became a man and not just a boy trying desperately to act like one. I have known many men like Hank, and I felt it was sad, but an eerily real depiction of such a person. By the end of this story I admired, Julie and Hank, and could see strength and light in them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment