Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Frontiersmen by Allan W. Eckert


The Frontiersmen by Allan W. Eckert
Winning of America Series, Book 1
Publisher: Jesse Stuart Foundation (August 2011)
652 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $9.99)
Book Rating: 5 Stars
Content Note: Includes Mild Sexual Content and Violent, Gruesome Battle Scenes

Beginning in 1755, with the birth of this story’s central character, Simon Kenton, and ending with his death in 1836, this is a non-fictional history told in the style of a novel, following three main characters (Simon Kenton, Blue Jacket and Tecumseh) and their exploits in the Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky wilderness from 1768 through the resolution of the Battle of 1812. The story is told from both the viewpoint of the Frontiersmen and the Shawnee Indians. Other notable characters such as Daniel Boone also play a large part. The story is presented in such a compelling way, that I will never again think of history as a dry subject and I had no problem at all making my way through this large book. I appreciated that all major and minor characters featured in the book either met their resolution in the course of the story or in the following epilogue, so I wasn’t left wondering what happened to anyone. This is an excellent book and I look forward to reading other books in this Winning of America series!

No comments:

Post a Comment