Thursday, July 10, 2014

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Divergent Trilogy, Book 1
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (October 2013)
501 pages, eBook (purchased myself in a bundle for $14.99)
Book Rating: 4 Stars
Content Note: Includes Graphic Violence

In a dystopian society that has divided itself into five factions, we follow Beatrice Prior as she turns 16 and faces the decision of which faction she will choose, and what that decision will mean for her relationship with her family and her future in general. This story reminded me of a combination of Hunger Games and Harry Potter, though there is no magic, the school atmosphere and the training that the initiates undergo was similar to Hogwarts. If you are preparing to start this series, I’d advise reading Divergent before moving on to Free Four and Four: A Divergent Collection, because I believe Divergent is best read with the character of Four being somewhat of an unknown mystery. After you’ve finished Divergent, then you can read Four’s perspective in the short Free Four and the four prequel stories. There aren’t many characters in this story that are entirely likable, Tris (Beatrice) included, but the flawed characters were very real, I thought, and I liked the exploration of what it means to have courage or be truly selfless. Despite the uncertainty that lies ahead, this ending was so perfect, I’m almost reticent to move on to Insurgent and Allegiant; I’d almost rather read the companion and prequel stories, from Four’s perspective, and have done with it, but I suppose I must continue—let’s hope it turns out well.
Movie Adaptations:
Divergent (2014)
Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Jai Courtney
Movie Rating: PG-13

No comments:

Post a Comment