Friday, February 28, 2014

A Ghost by Guy de Maupassant

A Ghost by Guy de Maupassant
aka The Spectre, The Apparition, The Story of the Law Suit
7 pages, eBook
Where I Got It: EastoftheWeb.com
Story Rating: 3 Stars

Content Ratings:
Violence: Mild-Moderate-Brutal
Swearing: Clean-Light-Filthy
Sexual Content: White-Pink-Red

Curious - Ornate - Charming

Summary:
An old man recounts his frightening run-in with a ghost that occurred many years ago while trying to do a service for an old friend.
My Thoughts:
Pretty much your run of the mill ghost story, told with Victorian extravagance. Entertaining enough, though I wouldn’t say it was particularly scary, nor did I find the ending surprising, but it is beautifully told, and that if nothing else held my attention and made it enjoyable.
Quotes:
“—for ten minutes I was prey to terror, in such a way that ever since a constant dread has remained in my soul.” -Guy de Maupassant, A Ghost
“Unexpected sounds chill me to the heart; objects which I can ill distinguish in the evening shadows make me long to flee. I am afraid at night.” -Guy de Maupassant, A Ghost 
“He had fallen madly in love with a young girl and married her in a kind of dreamlike ecstasy. After a year of unalloyed bliss and unexhausted passion, she had died suddenly of heart disease, no doubt killed by love itself.” -Guy de Maupassant, A Ghost
“Branches of the trees softly caressed my face, and now and then I would catch a leaf between my teeth and bit it with avidity, full of the joy of life, such as fills you without reason, with a tumultuous happiness almost indefinable, a kind of magical strength.” -Guy de Maupassant, A Ghost

No comments:

Post a Comment