Monday, August 4, 2014

Eating My Words by Michael Marshall Smith, Sarah Hilary, et al.

Eating My Words 
by Michael Marshall Smith, Sarah Hilary, et al.
Publisher: National Flash-Fiction Day and Gumbo Press (June 2014)
132 pages, eBook (purchased myself for $2.99)
Book Rating: 5 Stars

Content Ratings:
Violence: Mild-Moderate-Brutal
Swearing: Clean-Light-Filthy
Sexual Content: White-Pink-Red
Clever - Amusing - Unique
Summary:
This is an anthology from the National Flash-Fiction Day, chosen with the theme of “The Senses.”
My Thoughts:
This is the first flash-fiction I’ve ever read, and I really liked it. I particularly liked the collection revolving around a common theme, and thought it really made the stories come together nicely. ‘The Senses’ in particular can be interpreted in so many creative ways, as is shown in the vast variety of these tales. Some of the stories are strange, some amusing, some sad, but all are little bite-sized snapshots with so much packed inside, it is almost like poetry. Great collection!
Quotes:
“The rat was better company, she said, and less domineering about the TV.” -Becky Tipper, One Rat for Every Person
“He has this clockwork walk as if someone wound him up a long time ago.” -Angela Readman, Hey, Why Not Be a Daughter?
“Let others talk of storms and showers, I’ll only count your sunny hours.” -Rhys Barter, The Sundial

No comments:

Post a Comment